Mars Observer Camera (MOC)
- The Mars Observer mission was initially funded in 1984.
- Mars Observer was launched September 25, 1992.
- The spacecraft was lost on August 21, 1993, just three days before
the planned Mars Orbit Insertion.
- The Mars Observer Camera (MOC) was originally proposed to NASA in 1985, and selected in 1986.
- After the Mars Observer failure, a new MOC was built for Mars Global Surveyor. The second MOC reached the red planet in September 1997, and continues to this day to return new images from Mars.
- MSSS Connection: MSSS fabricated and operated the Camera on
Mars Observer. MSSS President, Michael C. Malin, was the Principal Investigator.
MOC Pictures Taken Enroute to Mars:
Mars Observer and MOC Background and Information
© 2005 by Malin Space Science Systems, Inc.