Surveyor '98 Lander Descent Imager MARDI
On October 30, 1995, NASA selected Malin
Space Science Systems (MSSS) to provide an imaging investigation for
the Mars Surveyor '98 Lander, to acquire pictures during the descent
to the martian surface.
MSSS will be responsible for designing and developing the imaging
system and, with the selected co-investigator team, for the
interpretation and analysis of the images once they are returned to
Earth. The Descent Imager will acquire pictures that span almost
three orders of magnitude in scale, from rouhly 8 m/pixel to 1
cm/pixel, while covering areas from 8 km to 10 m across.
The investigation team includes:
Available through this site are:
View of Descent Imager
- Dr. Michael C. Malin (Malin Space Science Systems, San Diego, CA)
- Dr. Michael H. Carr (U. S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, CA)
- Prof. Steven Squyres (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY)
- Dr. Peter Thomas (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY)
- Prof. Joseph Veverka (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY)
JPG = 82 KBytes
Copyright © 1995 by Malin Space Science Systems, Inc.